Who we are
Updated on July 5th, 2023.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
We will not sell, rent, or lease your personal data to any third party unless we have obtained your explicit consent to do so.
We may share your personal data with the following categories of recipients or third parties:
- Service Providers: We may engage trusted third-party service providers to perform certain functions and provide services to us. These service providers may have access to your personal data only to the extent necessary to perform their functions and are contractually obligated to protect the confidentiality and security of your data.
- Business Partners and Affiliates: We may share your data with our business partners or affiliates when it is necessary to fulfill our contractual obligations to you, provide you with requested services, or for other legitimate business purposes. These entities are required to handle your data in accordance with applicable privacy laws and regulations.
- Legal and Compliance Obligations: We may disclose your personal data to governmental or regulatory authorities or as otherwise required by applicable laws, regulations, or legal processes. This includes disclosures in response to lawful requests from public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- Consent and Other Circumstances: We may share your personal data with third parties if we have obtained your consent to do so. Additionally, we may share your data in other circumstances with your prior consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable laws.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
We strive to be transparent and respect your privacy rights. The following rights may apply depending on the applicable data protection laws:
- Right to Access: You have the right to request access to the personal data we hold about you. We will provide you with information about the categories of personal data we process, the purposes of processing, and any third parties with whom we may share your data.
- Right to Rectification: If you believe that the personal data we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to request the correction or updating of your data.
- Right to Erasure: You have the right to request the deletion of your personal data in certain circumstances, such as when the data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, or if you withdraw your consent and there is no other legal basis for processing.
- Right to Restrict Processing: You have the right to request the restriction of the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, such as when you contest the accuracy of the data or the lawfulness of processing.
- Right to Data Portability: You have the right to receive a copy of your personal data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and transmit that data to another data controller, where technically feasible.
- Right to Object: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data based on legitimate interests or for direct marketing purposes. We will cease processing your data unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing that override your interests, rights, and freedoms.
- Right to Withdraw Consent: If we rely on your consent as the legal basis for processing your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
Please note that we may require additional information from you to verify your identity before processing your request.
Where your data is sent
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Your data may be transferred to and stored on servers located in various countries or regions around the world. This means that your personal information may be processed outside of the country or region where you reside. By using our website and providing your information, you consent to the transfer, storage, and processing of your data in these countries.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with applicable laws. Whenever we transfer your personal data to a third party or a service provider located in a different country, we will take appropriate measures to protect your privacy rights.
In certain circumstances, we may also be required to disclose your personal data to governmental or regulatory authorities or as otherwise required by applicable laws.